It doesn’t matter whether you want to shave your Pom or are just planning or looking for some information about it; you are at a perfect place because this will be a complete guide for you where you will learn everything you need to consider before shaving your Pomeranian.
So, let’s get a straight jump into it.
Shaving a Pomeranian:
- Shaving your Pomeranian or giving him the shortest haircut (near to shaving) is not a good idea, especially when you want to do this to provide him with an aesthetic look.
Though there are certain reasons for which you can shave your Pomeranian, shaving him to give an aesthetic look would be no more just cruelty to him.
Although your Pom can easily get matted because he has a double and thick coat which leads you towards shaving him, it’s not recommended until or unless recommended by his VET.
So, before taking any action on whether you should shave your Pomeranian or not, you need to consider these basics first.
- Reasons for not shaving a Pomeranian
- Myths regarding Pomeranian shaving
- When should you shave your Pomeranian?
- How often does your Pomeranian need grooming?
- Will your shaved Pomeranian fur grow back?
And after getting the answer to these basics, you can easily understand what you must do next. Without further ado, let’s start.
Reasons for Not Shaving a Pomeranian:
First and foremost, let us clarify why we had said that you should not go for shaving your Pomeranian.
Here are the certain reasons for it.
- Shaved fur could cause skin cancer in your Pom because having no hair on his body would give a chance for sun rays to highly affect them, leading to the vulnerable situation of skin cancer.
- Shaving your Pomeranian could end up having no hair. So, if you consider shaving him and the fur as it will grow back, you are wrong. There is no certain answer to it; the hair might grow back or not. And luckily, if they succeed, they will never be the same as they were before.
- Another important reason for not shaving your Pom is that your dog could be prone to heat stroke because having no hair on his body could give him a chance to sun directly affect him.
So, if someone asks you to give them a saved look or a shorter haircut in summer, they are completely wrong and misleading you. And for a clear understanding, let’s learn some myths that could help you eliminate this tense situation.
Myths Regarding Pomeranian Shaving:
There are certain myths about shaving a Pomeranian led by people who had no concern with reality. That’s why it’s important to get rid of those ambiguities first.
People often say that shaving a Pomeranian…
- shaving a Pomeranian would help him to stop shedding
- Also, your Pom will get a cooler look cooler in summer
- With that, people often state don’t worry, they will grow back
- last but not least myth is that shorter cuts can help them to get rid of allergies
Yeah! These all are misconceptions built by people who had no concern with reality. So, avoid shaving as much as you can.
How Often Do Pomeranians Need Grooming?
Now, to quickly answer this concern, we must say
- Pomeranians need regular grooming with a brushing duration of at least 15 minutes daily. It will be a perfect way to prevent matting or get rid of tangles or knots so that there would be no need to shave.
So, if you want to brush him, we recommend holding his fur with one hand and using your second hand to brush; this will help you avoid pulling, and your dog will not hurt.
Will Your Shaved Pomeranian Fur Grow Back?
The most wanted question is whether your dog gets shaved already or has some severe issues where shaving was necessary.
So, yeah, the fur will grow back. You don’t need to worry, but how long it takes to grow around this couldn’t be answered.
It depends on his skin condition. If he is not prone to skin complications, it will grow back in 4 weeks. But sometimes it could take longer than usual, so we were forcing you not to do that.
When Should You Shave Your Pomeranian?
Since we are talking about you shouldn’t shave your Pomeranian, there are certain circumstances under which shaving is a must, and you can’t avoid them.
So, let’s find out together.
- If there is any severe neglect on your Pom grooming, his fur gets strictly matted and tangled, and you don’t have any solution other than shaving, then you should go for it, as you can’t leave your dog miserable.
- When he has certain skin issues like a skin infection or severe allergy issues, it’s completely recommended to do that.
In short, it is recommended not to go for it until or unless your leg friend is prone to severe conditions.
The experts always recommend avoiding shaving your Pomeranian as it’s not a good practice.
If your dog is suffering from issues and there is no solution other than shaving him, you can go for it after consulting the VET.
And if it’s once done, make sure not to happen in the future, and to avoid future shaving, all you can do is groom him regularly.
Must read: How long does it take to groom a dog?
We truly care about the concerns of caring pet parents. If you have any questions, do write in the comment section. We would love to be there.