Your concern might be getting information about the labradoodle haircuts or choosing from the best labradoodle haircut. No matter what your primary objective is, all your concerns and queries will be answered here.
You will get enough information to help you get a perfect look for your leg friend.
So let’s get a straight dive into it.
Do you Need to Cut Labradoodle Hair?
You are a new dog owner, Right! That’s why you are concerned about whether you should cut your labradoodle hair or not.
To quickly answer your concern, I can say yes! Just like any other dog breed, Labradoodles also need haircuts. And you will be required to give a haircut to your furry friend for the following reasons.
- A haircut usually decides your furry friend’s look, and you will give him a haircut to improve the overall look.
- You will also give your companion a haircut so that he can feel comfortable. If you cut his hair from the eyes, it will help him for perfect sightseeing.
- A haircut also protects your dog from the heat and cold and fluctuation of seasons.
Labradoodle first haircut age
Yeah! This is another critical question that is good to know before giving any haircut by your or your groomer.
All I can say is that your dog will not need any haircut until he gets 4 months old, or an age of 16 weeks would be best to give a haircut.
But! Remember, if you are not giving any haircut to your dog, it does not mean you will not groom him till then.
So, for that, you should groom your pup at home, which will be an exquisite way to friendship with your dog.
Can I give my labradoodle a haircut at home?
Great! It sounds interesting that you want to give a haircut to your puppy by yourself.
And of course, you can! It’s not very tricky. All you need to get a perfect hair look is the right tools and practice. For an ideal haircut for your puppy, investment is a must; it could be in the form of the grooming tools or the state of groomer cost.
Remember! If you are not giving any regular brushing or grooming to your dog, don’t do this by yourself, and consulting with your dog groomer is a must.
Note: To be honest, if you are going to get a haircut by yourself, you are not going to get your desired look, and with practice, surely you will get a perfect look and love it.
Labradoodle Hair Coat:
Now, it’s time to digest some information about labradoodle hair coats because before choosing any haircut, it’s good to have some knowledge of his fur type.
As we all know, all dogs have different types of coats which depend on their parent genetics. When it comes to Labradoodles, labradoodle hair coats lie in 3 categories.
Let’s discuss them briefly.
- Wool Coat – The wool coat of your dog will feel more like a poodle. This kind of coat usually has short hair which grows with tight curls. This dog coat will need grooming and management with a regular haircut.
- Fleece Coat – under this coat labradoodle will have a soft and either a straight or wavy coat. Though it’s easy to take care of, it still needs grooming and hairstyling to keep its fur tidy and tangle-free.
- Straight coats – as the name suggests, your dog’s hair will be straight, which is easy to groom but still needs regular grooming, and for that, you will have to brush him 3 to 4 times a week.
Related: My labradoodle is shedding, what to do now?
Best Types of Labradoodle Haircut Ideas
Undoubtedly, your dog will look exquisite in every haircut, but personality also matters. That’s why we have a list of the 5 best labradoodle haircuts you can choose from.
So, without further ado, let’s dive into it.
Note: don’t feel any hesitation in trying out different haircuts. If you don’t like the first look, your poodle hair will grow back, and you can try another one. It means you have an opportunity to play around with different types of haircuts.
1- Short and long labradoodle haircut:
These hairstyles are effortless and straightforward. And to maintain your fur, you groom your labradoodle every couple of days to keep the dirt, mats, and tangles free.
- In a short haircut, you will keep your leg friend short and gently 1 inch over the body.
- And a long haircut will cut the hair at two inches all over the body.
Most pet owners prefer short haircuts to keep their body mat and tangle-free, and long hair will be preferable when they want to make their labradoodle look cuddly.
2- Puppy cut:
Now, this is the most popular hairstyle for any labradoodle. And both of you, you and your dog, will love it. Though the definition of this haircut varies from groomer to groomer, one thing will be the same to keep the poodle’s signature shape.
Of course! This haircut is called puppy cut because after having this cut, your dog will seem like a puppy no matter what age he is.
- The hair length will be the same over the body of 1 to ½ inches, making it cute.
Another specialty of this cut is that it provides the opportunity to the pet owners and the groomer to decide what would be the length of your leg friend coat. Sounds interesting! Give it a try.
3- Teddy Bear Cut:
This is the most pretty and well-known haircut, and get ready to turn your poodle into a real-life teddy bear; you might have gotten it. Right! And that’s the specialty of this cut that anyone can understand with his name.
Who does not want to give a teddy bear look? Of course, you will also like that you could introduce your leg friend to the people just like in your childhood as you were used to introducing your teddy bear to your friends.
Most of the time, groomers consider this haircut the same as the puppy cut and the slight difference in their hair length.
- The hair will be a little longer, which will require regular grooming, and your dog will look cute in it.
Note: if you want to give this haircut to your furry friend, ask your dog groomer if you want to get a teddy bear look. It is so famous that he will get it.
4- Lamb cut:
This haircut is the perfect combination of short and long hair, and it is always easy to manage. And if your dog has curly hair, this hairstyle will be perfect for your leg friend.
- Keeping the leg hair long and the head coat short will create a smooth look.
This hairstyle is designed for the doodles with the poodle type of coats. Yes! You get it right. It is the best type of haircut for curly and short-haired dogs.
5- Kennel haircut:
The fourth hairstyle on our list is the kennel cut; of course, this is the most simple and easy-to-manage cut for your labradoodle.
- Under this cut, your labradoodle will be shaved, but wait, not wholly shaved. Half of the inch will be left on the body.
And you know what, most of the time, the labradoodle owners prefer to have this haircut just because they want to protect their dog from the hot summer. Though it needs less grooming and brushing, the pet owner will let the coat grow until it reaches the winter.
Note: All your concerns regarding labradoodle shaving are here.
How to maintain the labradoodle haircut?
Besides a haircut, labradoodle coats also need regular maintenance, including tooth cleaning, hair brushing, ear cleaning, and nail clipping. But as you know, clipping your dog is not enough. You need to maintain it.
So, let’s discuss some simple precautions to keep your dog’s haircut more retained.
- First, to remove dirt from your dog’s hair, use a dematting brush; this brush will pull out all the debris and dirt from your pup’s coat and make them super fresh as if they have just taken their first haircut or a grooming session.
- Next, you should brush your dog’s coat with the help of the line brushing technique, which means taking a small portion of your dog’s hair and touching them in parts. Once the one-piece is done, you can move on to the next step.
- After that, if you feel any stubborn areas, make sure to use scissors and cut the areas that can irritate your dog.
Note: Your labradoodle needs maintenance, and if you are a busy person, you can divide your grooming process into sections. Like on the first day, you can brush his hair and do nail trimming or tooth cleaning the next day. Through this, the grooming process will be effective and time-reducing.
How to tell the dog groomer what you want?
Sometimes, you might feel like telling your dog groomer what you want, Right! And it’s pretty normal to face this problem, and it’s much better to get an answer to it.
You can follow these simple steps to avoid any miscommunication between you and your groomer.
- Get the correct information about your desired haircut with the length you want.
- Take an image with yourself because pictures can’t be misrepresented, and the groomer can understand much more effectively.
- In the end, you Must ask the groomer to repeat what you said. It will help you ensure that your message has been adequately communicated and that he will precisely deliver what you want.
Note: if you did not like your dog’s haircut at first, don’t worry hair will grow back, and then you can try another hairstyle
Labradoodle haircut cost
If you feel nervous while cutting your dog, we recommend getting help from professional groomers. And for that, all you need to do is choose the best labradoodle haircut from the above list and go to your groomer immediately.
A dog groomer will be more professional and focus on everything like paws, tail, ear, back, etc. All you need to do is, just before picking up your dog from a groomer, make sure to check and inspect his body, especially ear cleaning.
If your pup has the perfect haircut with cleaning, don’t forget to tip your dog groomer.
How often should a labradoodle get a haircut?
After all these concerns, you might want to know that you have given a haircut and maintained it properly, but how often should a labradoodle get a haircut.
To quickly answer, we can say that your labradoodle will need a haircut every 4 to 8 weeks. And in short, you can say 4 weeks if you have a long haircut and 8 weeks if he has a short haircut.
Your labradoodle haircut duration also depends on some other factors like
- how old is your dog
- which hairstyle you have given to him before that
- how fast your labradoodle hair is growing
Considering these factors, we can say that, on average, your dog will need 5 to 7 haircuts per year.
Tip: if you don’t have time to give your poodle a haircut and grooming session, again and again, you should try to provide him with a shorter haircut.
Final verdict – which labradoodle haircut is best?
To up-wrap this detailed labradoodle hair guide, let me tell you which haircut is best for your dog.
Well, All I can say is it depends on you and your dog’s personality, but there are also some other factors like
- What type of fur do your dogs have?
- What season is it – is it summer or winter
- Your dog loves to spend more time outside or not
You might wonder how these factors play an essential role so let me tell you that if you give a long haircut to your labradoodle in summer, what will happen? Indeed it will create a mess in your dog’s personality, and your pup will feel uncomfortable. That’s why it’s better to consider these factors before choosing any haircut for your companion.
We have tried our best to answer all your concerns, but if there is still something left in your mind. Do write in the comment section. We would love to listen.
Leave a Reply