Imagine that you have started eating dinner and someone is sitting under the table and looking at you miserably. He also wants to eat that you are eating YES he is your cute dog. But wait all toxic human foods are not good for dogs so it is good to ask whether you should give it to your dog or not. Just like any other human dogs also need balance in their diet otherwise it can lead to health issues for your cute puppies or dogs.
Before feeding you might have questions in your mind like can a dog eat celery? How much celery can a dog eat? What kind of celery can a dog eat? What are the benefits and risks for a dog to eat celery? They all are solid questions so Read on to know the answer to all queries.
Can a dog eat celery?
First and foremost can a dog eat celery? So, the answer is yes THEY CAN but it does not mean all will!
In other words, you can say that celery does not have any harmful compound for your dog. Some dogs don’t like to eat celery because they don’t like its flavor but some like to eat celery because of its crunchiness.
Even your dog is not a big fan of celery but you should give her some celery now and then. Just because it has many health benefits for them. But if they love it don’t overdo it because it can also create health issues for them.
If your dog is eating celery for the very first time you should introduce it to your dogs slowly. Give them a little bit and observe whether they have any reaction in their body or not.
If your dog enjoys the crunchy texture of calories so it can be a good alternative to snacks OR it can also be a source of an occasional treat.
TIPS; Calories are themselves low in fat so if your dog is over-weighted it can also act as a weight loose treatment because it contains 95% water in it. Calories are sources of various vitamins like vitamin A, B, C, K, potassium, and magnesium. It is also good for dogs to teethe celery will help in freshens the dog’s breath. While you are giving celery to your dog avoid leaf parts because they are prone to pesticides. But if you want to use it or your dog really likes it you can wash it with warm water.
How much celery can a dog eat?
There is no hard and fast rule to measure quantity. It totally depends on your dog’s size and daily diet. For this, you can consult with your VAT. If your dog is eating celery for the first time you should give her only two-bit size pieces and closely observe them while they are eating celery. Observe them In order to avoid any harmful effects like an allergic reaction or any other change in the body.
If your dog is overweighted the quantity of celery could be 10% of his daily diet. But if your dog is small in size or if it is a puppy then celery can cause of choking hazard. So to avoid choking hazards cut it into small pieces then it will be easy to digest.
Guide for feeding celery to dogs.
Here is the guideline that you should follow while you are feeding celery to dogs or you can say that few ideas to feed celery to dogs.
- If your dog won’t like the taste of celery you can Mix it into their food. Or if they are feeding for the first time you can also do that. it will help you to see their reaction whether they like it or not. It is always advised to give little chunks to your dog initially.
- If your dog is old or if it has a problem with digestion then Cooked celery could be a good option for your dog. As it helps in digestion because cooked celery is easily digestible.
- You can also chop the celery into little pieces and mix it into their meal especially if they don’t like celery. Just like children if children don’t like something we probably going to mix it in some other food. The only need is celery Who cares about how they eat?
- When you are on the go and you are really in an emergency you can simply chop some celery sticks and give them to your dog as a healthy diet. But remember as I said earlier only do this if your dog is already used to it. If he is eating for the first time it is highly toxic.
PRECAUTIONS; there are some precaution that you should not avoid. Never add salt, avoid ingredients that are toxic to eat for humans like garlic, onions, lemon because it can upset their stomach and can cause gas, diarrhea. Sometimes it is advised to avoid celery and give some substitute like an apple after chopping into little pieces. It is easy to eat and always wash before giving it to your dog.
What kind of celery can a dog eat?
If you are wondering about what kind of celery can a dog eat? So it is dependable on the choice of your dog.
Some prefer eating celery in raw because they just love their crunchiness. Raw celery is also highly beneficial for your dog’s health because it contains low calories. Especially if your dog is over-weighted then it is highly commendable.
Some dogs prefer to eat cooked celery. Because they are easy to chew and swallow and also it is easily digestible. Usually, the older dogs prefer cooked celery also it contains lots of minerals in it. So it can be a good option.
PRO TIP; if your dog is on diet always gives him plain celery. If you add some extra flavor like peanut butter it could be tasty but never be a healthy option for your dog’s diet because it can increase the calories dramatically.
Benefits of feeding celery to dogs
As you all know that celery is highly beneficial let’s discuss some benefits of feeding celery to dogs
- There is 95% water included in calories so it can hydrate your pup. Especially it is highly beneficial in summer and it can also satisfy a hungry pup
- There are a lot of vitamins in celery that help to increase bone health, maintain the nervous system, and are equally beneficial for a dog’s eyesight.
- If you are on the go or you are in hurry raw celery could be a good option. Just chop some celery sticks into little pieces and give your dogs a healthy meal.
- Celery contains fiber which is magical in weight loss.
- ·Zinc is also included in calories and it is helpful for digestion and can boost the immunity
- The benefit of having potassium in celery can prevent heart issues and muscle cramps in your partner.
They were some essential micronutrients and they can help round up your dog’s diet, support their immune system and, because of the iron included in celery chances of anemia have reduced.
Risks of feeding celery to dogs
You have reached this point, Just like a mother and you are also worried about the risks of feeding calories to your furry friend. so There are some little risks that can be avoided by paying little attention to them so don’t worry!
There is a risk of excessiveness while using celery. Just like humans dogs also need balance in their diet. Celery excessiveness can cause gas, vomiting, diarrhea in your dogs.
The biggest risk of using celery is choking hazards, especially in small dogs. Just like a child- when a child starts eating something the mother must take care of his diet and make sure he eats in a proper way. The same case is with the dogs when they start eating celery always chop them into small pieces and firstly give them just a little bit. After that with the passage of time, you can increase the number of celery in a dog’s diet.
PRECAUTION; In order to make flavored or to make the dog’s celery delicious never add salt, onion, garlic, etc. because all toxic human foods are not safe for your puppy’s health. Ignore them as much as you can or infect never do that.
TRY feeding it now!
Now you got the answer of can dog to eat celery? So you can feed calories or crunch stuff to your dogs without any worries. Before feeding celery Always keep the risks and advantages in mind. Celery can be a great source of healthy fiber because it contains plenty of micro and macronutrients to keep them healthy.
Celery is safe for dogs’ health it does not mean that it is the best treatment for your dogs. It should be a healthy meal treat for your dog never overdo it. Most importantly the best thing is always to consult your veterinarian before feeding any new food to your dogs.
SO…….Try out some celery diet for your dog today. Definitely, your dog will love it – who knows! Probably you will find the new favorite snack for your furry friend!