Like humans, dogs have faced many health conditions and problems. Sometimes, such disabilities have been produced in canines, which is similar to Down syndrome. But we cannot call them exactly Down syndrome. Dogs often suffer from diseases and have genetic abnormalities.
In today’s detailed guide, we will discuss al the symptoms, treatment of these. All you need to do is just stick with us till end.
What is Down syndrome?
Before we get in, you need to know what Down syndrome actually is.
Every living organism’s cell has a nucleus that has genetic material (genes). Genes are found on the chromosomes carrying genotypic codes. However, chromosome’s quantity is different from one body to one another.
Down syndrome is an abnormality of chromosomes. It is due to trisomy of all or part of the chromosomes 21.
Can Dog Have Down syndrome?
If you are in doubt about Can you have a Down syndrome dog? So relaxed because this disorder did not been found in dogs yet. The disease diagnosis system of humans is much better than animals. Veterinarians do not have such a testing system that can diagnose Down syndrome in animals. It may be due to other similar genetic disorders.
Can Dogs have Chromosomal Disorders?
Genetics plays a vital role in health. According to scientists and veterinarians,Down syndrome has been found in chimpanzees, but there is no evidence in dogs yet. Actually, dogs have genetic disorders.
Human cells have 23 chromosome pairs, whereas dogs have 39 chromosome pairs. Due to any disorder, when a person has 47 chromosomes, it will be the reason for Down syndrome. In the same way, when chromosomes turn 78 in dogs. At that time, somesimilar symptoms of Down syndrome are produced in dogs due to genetic abnormalities.
Usually, a human has two copies of chromosomes in a cell. Sometimes a third copy of the chromosome develops and produces disabilities. This genetic disorder is called Down syndrome or Trisomy 21. It is a very common disorder in humans, but there is no evidence in canines.
Symptoms of Down syndromes:
There is no testing system for Down syndrome in animals. Only diagnosed with similar genetic disorders. But typically, canine Down syndrome presents unique signs like:
- Weak muscles
- Palm crease.
- Abnormal face features
- Short body parts
- Large protruding tongue
- Laziness in doing action
- Blindness or eye problems
- Growth hormone deficiency.
- Shorter life span
- Poor Hair or fur condition
- Genetic Disorders in Dogs
Actually, dogs have genetic disorders, but they do not have Down syndrome.
Others Conditions that look like down syndromes:
Pituitary Dwarfism in Dogs
It’s a heredity disorder. Some breeds of dogs, like Spitz, Corgis, German Shepherds, Weimaraners, Basset Hounds, Saarloos Wolfdogs, and Dachshunds, are more prone to Pituitary Dwarfism.
When pituitary gland cannot produce thyroid stimulatory and growth hormones, disorders occur at that time. The hormone of growth does not work properly in this disorder.
Pituitary Dwarfism will cause bulging eyes and small legs, kidney failure, tumours or cysts, infections, spinal problems, a Long body, a short jaw, poor coat condition, baldness, shortened life span, etc.
Achondroplasia is an example of Pituitary Dwarfism disorder. At the age of 2 months, dog’s growth stops and cannot grow well. Their bones remain short. Proper treatment, like hormone therapy, provides your dog with a better and longer life.
Hypothyroidism in Dogs.
- The reason for this rare disorder is a deficiency of hormones that release from the thyroid gland.
- Hypothyroidism disorder symptoms are short limbs, poor muscle tone, large tongue, slow growth, cold intolerance, slow heart rate, bald hair, lack of desire to exercise, and weight loss. Genetic disorders are treatable but not curable. In this situation, oral administration can help us to improve dogs’ health.
- Thyroid replacement hormone doses are given to dogs for treatment.
Heart Defect (Congenital) in Dogs.
Congenital heart defects develop due to spinal fluid consistently stored inside and outside the brain. Sometimes it may be slow. But it can be dangerous. However, early diagnosis and treatment increase the level; of survival.
How to cure for a Down syndrome Dog?
- This genetic disorder is rare in dogs, but when it appears in puppies, you can consult a veterinarian. If you have noticed any symptoms such as abnormality. At that time, they will guide you about the diagnosis plan to observe your dog and then recommend treatment.
- If your dog has pain, you can use pain killer to give them relief.
- Possibly avoid antibiotics because they also destroy good bacteria.
- Give them a healthy diet that contains high protein and amino acids.
- You can use appetites like ginger, alfalfa, and fennel.
- Exercise keeps your dog active and energetic. It may help dogs to be strong and healthy.
- Sometimes Dogs with Down syndrome can be very fearful of anything around them. Whenever you notice that your dog has an intense fear of something, you should soothe them by hand.
Can animals have Down syndrome?
The answer is no. but some dogs have some genetic disorders in heredity which look like Down syndrome.
What do animals look like with Down syndrome?
Poor growth, problems in hearing, sight, and skin, abnormal facial features, poor muscle, and delayed mental development are some signs of animals with Down syndrome.
The fact is that, such as like humans, dogs have different levels of learning and understanding. Some are protectors, while others are lovely companions. In the same way, dogs have different health conditionbut dogs merely can have down syndrome.
It’s very stressful for pet owners when their dog has any unusual behavior or Down syndrome symptoms. Don’t worry, it’s a genetic disorder. Now think about what you can do to give them a healthier life. Simply go to a vet for better diagnosis and treatment.