Question Can dogs eat shrimp? Well as a pet parent whenever you are eating food you also to want share everything with your dog. But wait all toxic human foods are not good for dogs’ health. So it’s better to ask which human foods should be a part of dogs’ food.
Ughhh! I know this time you are eating shrimp and you want to give it to your furry friend. but you are also wondering about can a dog eat shrimp? how much shrimp can a dog eat? how to prepare shrimp for your dog? And you are also worried about all those questions and myths that might have in your mind and the society also have.
So the short answer is YES but you should avoid feeding shrimps to your pet. ok! ok! I know this topic is contradictory that’s why you need to read this post till the end to know the right answer.
FACT; according to the American poison control center, there were 199,000 poisoning cases in pets in 2017. The reason behind these cases was only toxic human foods. Many household items are not good for your dog’s health. So it’s good to do research before feeding anything. It proves you as a responsible pet parent.
Is shrimp good or bad for dogs?
After getting the answer of can a dog eats shrimp. The next question that comes into your mind is shrimp good or bad for dogs? Of course, shrimp is a portion of seafood and your dog can also eat some seafood. So let’s discuss some good and the bad things that you need to know before feeding shrimps to your dog.
- The good thing about shrimps is it has a lot of nutritional benefits for your canine.
- It’s a low celery snack and rich in proteins.
- They are also good for the joints and skin of your doggy.
- Most importantly shrimps protect your pet from various diseases. Just like cancer and heart disease.
- Shrimps have omega3 in them.
- They can also protect the brain health of your dog and save your pet’s mental health.
- The bad thing about shrimp is that Sometimes they can cause allergic reactions in your pet’s body.
- It can also be a cause of choking hazards for your dog.
- Especially if shrimps are raw and uncooked then it will be a cause of many bacteria in it.
- Bacteria in shrimps cal lead to having worse effects on dogs’ health and could be a cause of serious diseases like salmonella, listeria.
Remember; whenever you are feeding shrimps to your dog keep in my mind that only cooked ones are safe for dogs and make sure that it has properly cooked. Because it contains bacteria in it and cooking shrimps will kill bacteria that has in it. Also, always remember to remove shells and tails of shrimps. If you had noticed any allergic reaction in your dog’s body while feeding then stop feeding immediately and consult your veterinarian.
How much shrimp can a dog eat?
If you are wondering about how much shrimp can a dog? Well, it depends on the size of your dog. But always moderation is the key. You can say that one or two cups are enough per week but it’s better to consult with your veterinarian before deciding the quantity.
Its always advised to give a low quantity of shrimp to your dog. Especially If your dog is feeding for the first time give them just a little and introduce them slowly to your dog food.
A high quantity of shrimp can cause choking hazards and illness for your dogs.
How to prepare shrimps for dogs?
Here is some guideline about how you can prepare shrimps and can make them a part of your dog’s healthy diet plan. So let’s discuss.
- Always prepare shrimps for your dogs separately-you can not give her the shrimps that you had cooked for yourself because it can contain much toxic human food that will not be a good option for the dog’s health.
- To make it tastier while cooking shrimps for dogs avoid seasoning-like salt, onion, ginger, etc.
- Choose fresh shrimp and peel it off always remove shells and tails in it.
- You can also give them boiled or steamed shrimps-but never raw.
- Shrimps can also be mixed with other dry fruits and vegetables.
- Always give them just as a snack or a special treat.
Can dogs be allergic to shrimp?
Yes! Just like humans, dogs can also get allergic reactions so this is not a big deal.
To avoid an allergic reaction give a small quantity of shrimp to your puppy. Especially if he is eating for the first time give it a little bit and observe whether it has an adverse effect on his body or not
There are some signs of allergic reaction;
- Difficult breathing
- Itchy skin
- Excessive sneezing
- Anaphylactic shock-only in rare cases
Most dogs love shrimps and can tolerate them. Just some of them have allergic reactions and can cause allergies.
Can dogs eat raw shrimp?
A big big NO for raw shrimps. Because there is guaranteed trouble in raw shrimps and it can cause a lot of health issues. If your dog gobbles raw shrimps then consult your veterinarian as soon as possible.
Eating raw shrimp could lead to various diseases. The symptoms are
- Weight loss
If you noticed any of them symptoms consult your VET.
Alternatives of shrimps
Well, have you tried giving shrimps to your leg friend? But you did not get good results. So don’t worry here are some suggestions and alternatives to shrimps that you can give to your pup.
- Salmon-boneless and completely cooked
- Sardines- rich in nutritions and contain Omega3
They both are kinds of seafood and could be a healthy alternative to shrimp.
Items you should keep away from your dog
To be a responsible pet parent it’s good to know which items you should keep away from your child (pup)
- Avocado-from those who have heart problems
- Grapes-from those who have a kidney issue
- Coffee-affect the nervous system of your dog
So can dogs eat shrimp?
Simply we can say that there is no danger in feeding shrimps to your dog. And how much you should feed shrimps to her is totally dependent on the dog’s health. You should always consult your veteran before adding something to your dog’s food.
Precautions; Never feed shrimp shells or tails to your dogs because the sharp edges of tails and shells can irritate them and could lead to verse effects on the upper gastrointestinal tract.
Avoid feeding shrimps to the dog who has a kidney issue or if he is overweight. Because shrimps are high in cholesterol. if your dog is on a diet then you should use celery in his food because it is low celery and could be the best diet plan for your overweighted pup. to know all the dos and don’ts of celery you need to read Can a Dog Eat Celery?
Always feed cooked shrimps to your dog. Because raw shrimps can cause poisoning Listeria, Salmonella.
Shrimps are not fetal for dogs’ health but you should avoid making them a regular part of your dog’s diet.