Cockapoo has all those qualities that make them an ideal dog breed. But Cockapoo is a hybrid dog breed that often needs grooming more than any other dog breed to get the desired eye-catchy look.
So, in this article, we will cover everything you need to know to groom your Cockapoo. And for that, all you need to know is to just keep reading to find the desired answer.
Fact: Cockapoos are the sweet, smart, and non-barker breed. Another interesting thing about Cockapoo is that they have coats that shed little or nothing.
Do Cockapoos Need Grooming?
You might not be sure whether Cockapoos need grooming or not, but let me tell you in detail.
Though Cockapoos are cute since they have poodle genetics, the drawback of having a cockapoo is that they require regular grooming.
If you are not grooming your Cockapoo, you are creating a mess because it can result in tangles and mats, which will end up shaving your furry friend. Yes! Of course, you will never want to shave your dog because you care for your pup and don’t want to hurt him by detangling his fur.
Of course, Cockapoos also need grooming like any other dog breed but keep in mind grooming depends on two factors….
- If they have a curly or wavy coat, they will need little grooming because they shed little.
- While the F1 shed a lot, that’s why they need more often grooming.
What Type of Coat Does Cockapoo Have?
As we all know, all dog breeds have three types of Coats, and the same goes with the Cockapoos. They have Curly, Straight, and wavy coats.
Let’sLet’s get some basics of Cockapoo coats:
Curly – This coat is also known as the tight coat, and if your dog has this type of coat, you will require most brushing to remove mat and tangles at home. Though long hair will look stunning on your furry friend, it would be difficult to maintain and keep it tangle-free because it is a labor-intensive task.
Straight – Most people consider this type of coat the finest because it needs only a little grooming and clipping or not at all. But it does not mean you do not need to groom your Cockapoo to infect it. Some facial trims and trimming some muzzle hair with paw pads for sanitary reasons would be enough. After that, your dog will be good to go.
Wavy – If a coat is influenced by each parent, it will result in a wavy coat. This fur is usually considered easy to maintain, but the grooming is too labor-intensive. Most people prefer a Teddy bear cut for a Wavy coat.
Tips for Cockapoo Grooming
Before starting our Cockapoo grooming guide, we have some tips for you that will make your grooming process easier.
You can also consider them as some precaution to help make your dog grooming process happy for both of you.
- It would be difficult for your dog to say during grooming while he has nothing to eat or chew. That’sThat’s why to get lots of treats or a toy for a better experience.
- If you feel your dog will be out of control during grooming, then stop it and try it on another day.
- Most importantly, gather lots of patience with you because grooming is time-consuming, and it can take up to 3 to 4 hours even for a professional groomer.
- If you are facing trouble during grooming, contact your dog groomer immediately.
- Little early grooming sessions can also help you. It means you should start grooming your pup as soon as possible; by doing this, your dog will get used to it and will not panic during grooming.
Cockapoo Grooming Guide
The exact method of grooming a dog always remains the same. There would be some little changes to it. And these changes could be about the grooming tools or whatever.
So let’s dig into our main topic: how you can groom your Cockapoo at home with these simple and easy steps.
- Gather grooming tools
- Start with brushing
- Nail trimming
- Ear cleaning
- Teeth cleaning
- Hair trimming
- Finishing touches
1-Gather Grooming Tools:
The first step you should take before starting any grooming session is to gather the right tools.
You should definitely choose only quality tools because it is a one-time cost, and trust me, you will not regret your purchase.
It will be worth it!
So, for your ease, we have divided these tools into two….
- Must have grooming tools and
- Optional grooming tools.
Must have grooming tools:
So following are the must-have grooming tools you should purchase for a perfect grooming session.
- Slicker brush
- Shampoo and conditioner
- Grooming table
- Cutting shears
- Steel comb
- Nail grinder
Optional grooming tools:
Here is the list of some optional grooming tools that are good to get, but you can also do the grooming without these tools. It totally depends on you, but we recommend getting them.
- Bully sticks
- Thinning shears
- Quick-dry towel
- Grooming gloves
Brushing your dog is the most important step, and you must pay more attention to it. Some groomers will think it is the 3 steps. Like some groomers thought that one should bathe his dog first and then start brushing.
But I think you should brush your dog first because removing mats and tangles from dog fur will be difficult after bathing.
- To brush your dog hair, you should split it into small sections for your ease.
- Then start brushing to remove mats and tangles.
- After that, take a steel comb and brush his hair again as it will help remove tangles and knots.
- In the end, use your hand to check if it’s done properly or not.
If your hand goes smoothly, then you are good to go towards the next step.
Nobody can deny the importance of this step. Yes! Don’tDon’t worry. We will keep you in mind as a beginner to guide you properly.
So let’s look at how you can bath your Cockapoo at home as a novice owner.
- First, you should wet the dog fur with warm water, and don’t worry if it takes time because the fur will sock some water.
- Then start shampooing your dog and massage it slowly, but you must avoid the ears and eyes.
- Rinse the shampoo and then apply a dog conditioner using the same method.
- That’sThat’s it for bathing. Now take your furry friend out of the water and let him dry.
- You can use a few towels for a quick dry or a quick-dry towel for effectiveness.
Note: Don’tDon’t forget to clean the dog’s face for this. Just squeeze a towel in warm water and gently wipe the face with that water. You can also use wipes or any other product to remove tear stains.
Precautions: Always use a dog-friendly shampoo because all human things are not good for your dog. It might be toxic.
Now it could be the most critical step, especially if your dog is panicking from it. You should be extremely careful while trimming your companion nail.
- To trim your dog’s nails, you can use trimming shears.
- And the approximate length of your dog’s nail could be 3mm, and we recommend avoiding cutting more than this because it can hurt your dog.
- In the end, don’t forget to file the nails.
Note: If you are doing this for the first time and you are not sure of what should be the ideal length to avoid hurting your dog, then you should use the technique of pink layer.
Just cut still until you reach the pink part of the nail. And if you are still unsure, trim your puppy nail a little, then use a filer to get the desired length and smoothness.
Now ear cleaning step is another considerable step. Don’tDon’t forget to clean your companion’s ears to prevent debris or any other dirt.
- For this, you can use cotton balls or an ear cleaning solution
- Do not go too deep into dog ears while cleaning. Just clean it as far as you can see it easily.
Note: if you have never done this before, avoid doing it, and there is no harm in taking help from a professional groomer because you can groom your Cockapoo at home, but it does not mean all you can do by yourself.
Don’t try to avoid this step because teeth health is equally important in dogs as it is in humans.
And for this, you can use a toothbrush or a finger brush to keep your furry friend’s teeth clean.
Also, any dental chew could be helpful.
Now it’s time to get the desired hair length. You should be very cautious while choosing any hairstyle for your leg friend because it will decide the overall look of your pup.
And for this, we also have some popular hairstyles that most dog owners choose for their Cockapoos. All you need to do is just read on…
Congratulations! You did it, and now it’s time to give some finishing touches.
You can use a thinning shear to mix and smooth the dog fur.
Now look at your work and appreciate your efforts. Of course, you will not get your desired look in the first step, but practice will make you perfect.
Choose a Best Haircut for Your Cockapoo
A haircut will decide the overall look of your dog. It will decide how your dog will look after grooming, so you should choose a perfect hairstyle for your poodle.
But what would happen if you don’t have any hairstyle knowledge.
Yes! It will ruin your efforts, and you will never get your desired look. That’sThat’s why we have got some popular haircut choices for every Cockapoo.
- Summer cut – This hair cut requires low maintenance because it has the same length all around the body. It can last for a few months, and it would be the best choice if you are busy and don’t have much time for daily brushing. Your companion will stay cool and look cool even in hot weather.
- Lamb cut – Well, lamb cut is the easiest to maintain, even for beginners. If you want to get a short but a fluffy look for your leg friend. Then go for a lamb cut because your companion’s fur will be long enough to create a fluffier look. It would be best to get a perfect lamb cut from a professional groomer.
- Cocker cut – in this cut, the head fur of your dog will be a little longer as compared to the whole. We recommend letting the groomer do this task for a professional and beautiful look. The cooker cut will need touching every 6 to 8 weeks.
- Teddy bear cut – A teddy bear cut is the most popular choice of all poodle parents. you can simply ask your groomer for a teddy bear cut he will get it.
If you want a haircut, you should take a picture with yourself. It will help the groomer understand your requirements better because pictures can’t be misrepresented.
How often does Cockapoo Need Grooming?
That’s a good question, and the answer is……
The duration totally depends on your companion coat type. As we have discussed the coat types earlier, let me give a rough estimate of your question.
- If your dog has a straight coat, he will need grooming 2 times a week.
- While a curly coat requires daily brushing, you will need to visit a professional groomer after at least 3 months.
- Wavy coats require regular brushing with a grooming session 2 to 3 weekly.
Cockapoo Grooming Guide – Crux
As per our promise, you have got all the necessary information that you need to know for cockapoo grooming at home.
And I’m sure you must be able to do it by yourself after reading this.
There is no harm in consulting professional grooming, but it’s good to have basic Cockapoo grooming knowledge.
And with the hope that you have got the answer to all of your questions, we will end this post. If there is still anything left unanswered, write it down in the comment section. We would love to respond to you there.